I am writing this post as part of the Verizon Wireless Lifestyle Bloggers program. Being part of the program does not in anyway influence this post in anyway. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I would like to talk to you about something that hits very close to home for me. Addiction is a disease, it can be managed but not cured. It affects people from all walks of life. Even though children of addicts are more likely to become addicts themselves, there are those who have no family addiction history who become addicts. Addiction destroys families, it is not just a personal battle.
The good news it that there is help for those who choose to reach out and get it. Because of the use of technology going to a meeting is no longer the main way people are reaching out for the support they need.
Please note, though the following apps are great in being the extra support many count on to help manage their addictions, they are not meant to be your resource for recovery.
5 Apps for Addicts
"Designed for accountability, recoveryBox is an iOS app toolset that facilitates tracking of daily life activities by easily breaking them down into your "lights". Breaking habits requires knowing why we do what we do, when do we do it and coming up with goals to break unhealthy behaviors.recoveryBox has the tools needed to help with addiction recovery.
recoveryBox is designed to work with any addiction: drugs, gambling, pornography, alcohol or customize your own specific to your needs!!"
I love that this app covers all addictions. If you want to further check out this app there are videos that explain all parts of it further. You can find them at THIS LINK.
The recoveryBox app cost $1.99 and can be downloaded at the app store
"no matter what type of addiction you are fighting against, ImQuit will give you a powerful weapon. It can trace your process and give you a clear and impressive picture, you can also compare with your history record and share your success with your friends."
This app is great because it lets you track your process or managing more then one addiction. I like that friends and family can see your progress, this is a great thing when you deserve a pat on the back.
This is a free app that you can download here.
This is a valuable app for those who are involved in the 12 step program and traveling.
"Meeting Finder is the most comprehensive and easy to use 12-step program meeting search tool!
- Find meetings across the U.S. in seconds.
- Covers the top 12-Step recovery programs
- Use your current location or search by city or zip code.
- Find the meeting you want. E.g. open/closed, men/women only, etc.
- Add meetings to iCal.
- Map meetings and get directions.
- Share meetings with others via text or email.
- Send us updates for out-of-date meetings"
If you turn to your higher power for guidance in recovery then iPromises may be provide the inspiration you need.
- Daily reflections
- Recovery calculator that shows you how many days you have been sober
- A calendar that keeps track of the 12-Step meetings you attend regularly
- A tool that lets users monitor their moods and relapse triggers
- A contact list for all of your 12-Step friends
- Links with descriptions of various 12-Step groups
- A journal where you can describe your mood, challenges, and accomplishments for the day
- A travel guide with information about meetings held throughout the country "
Sometimes you just have to breath in and breath out. Lets face it the road to recovery is stressful. This app can help reduce stress and anxiety by introducing you to breathing exercises.
• Easy to follow voice instructions.
• Intuitive animated breathing guide.
• Five calming guide sounds.
• Breathing Analyzer measures your breathing rate.
• Timed sessions from 5 to 60 minutes.
• Weekly Target tracks your therapeutic breathing minutes."